Sharing & Learning Together

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Wacky Lesson

This lesson happened sometime in June. I had to teach spelling in std 02 and the topic was the sound of y. Y is a consonant but disguises itself as a vowel to imitate sounds of 'i' or 'e'. I thought, disguising myself will help the children grasp the concept of something acting as something else easily and I can concentrate on the sounds the disguised Y makes. So I walked into the class wearing a daisy duck mask and interacted with the kids in a changed ducky voice for a few minutes. Then I wrote the sentences " My name is Daisy Duck. What is your name?" on the board and asked them to find out how many Ys there were in those sentences and what sounds they make. I had introduced my lesson. The rest of it was brought out from the kids themselves by questioning and brain-storming. Later, my team teachers, who were also surprised and amused when I walked in with that mask, told me it was a very good lesson and that the kids would remember it for a long time. The very next day I ran into Shuchi and asked her if it qualifies as a wacky lesson, since I had not exactly planned for it as a PPSE lesson. She told me to go ahead and blog about it. Don't ask me why I took so long to do it , for I myself don't know, but here I am. Quack Quack.

3 Comments:

  • effectively wacky neela i dig this one

    By Blogger a.v.koshy, at 12:09 PM  

  • Quack Quack that was a good one, Neela

    By Blogger Shuchi Grover, at 9:20 PM  

  • It has taken me only one month and eight days to read about Daisy Duck - good idea for a hook! Wackiness is often a good hook.

    Tara

    By Blogger Tara Kini, at 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home