Sharing & Learning Together

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Echo Tara's Sentiments

WOnderful to read reflections on what did or did not motivate you, Joel and Neela.

I would like to underscore the point that Tara's making here. I'm not sure if there is much thought being given to how students can be motivated based on the lovely ideas that came out of our discussions on brain-based learning. Instead, the "Let assignments be graded" type of suggestion has come up in almost every CASW session that had to do with increasing student motivation.

So, I think Tara's observations are timely and on the mark. Please do give this some thought, folks, and let's think "how people learn" and "cognitive psychology" a bit more than "reward"/"punishment". The latter is very easy to suggest and perhaps even implement, but is it the best we can do?

3 Comments:

  • Shuchi,
    I am really confused about the child centered learning. How it will help? The teachers are really happy to implement child centered learning or it's just spoken of very high and not practical when it come to teaching. I am confused and I haven't come across such an approach in my school days. To be honest lack of motivating teachers is the main factor for me to develpoe more interest towards sports.

    By Blogger Joel Kribairaj, at 9:33 PM  

  • Joel is your question about child-centred learning in relation to the observations that Shuchi and I are making about doing better than "rewards and punishments' as strategies?

    By Blogger Tara Kini, at 8:36 PM  

  • Tara you guessed right,Please explain about child centered learning and how it is sucessfully used by teacher's in school

    By Blogger Joel Kribairaj, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home