Sharing & Learning Together

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Calling all 'silent' PPSE bloggers...

Hello everyone!

There is a fantastic discussion raging here - on the issue of extrinsic "rewards" and "punishments" (or "R & P" as Dharma has aptly abbreviated the terms!) that I think we all stand to benefit from. It's great how the 'comments' section take on a discussion-like quality.

Unfortunately, this group blog seems to have very few active PPSE members. There is a conspicuous absence of our elem. school PPSEites - Gudrun, Geeta, Christina, Kalpana - who I'm sure face several situations on a daily basis where they're faced with motivating kids who're not listening or paying attention or whatever. Would love to hear your thoughts on these issues, and how you are tackling them in Elem. school.

Anupama, Amarnathan, Srini, Gulab, Anitha, Hema, Vijaya, Uday, Mahesh - I do hope you all are also visiting this space regularly. We cannot tell since we don't see any blog entries or comments coming from you. Do drop a comment sometime...

3 Comments:

  • Geeta,it'sstrange isn't it?Inmy case humliation by a teacher led to a feeling that I would never be good at music.It worked in reversein your case.I guess this is true in the case of all children.Rewards and punishment do not have the same effect on all children.As Neela has pointed out, it must be used judiciously,with in depth understanding of what the child's needs are and how he reacts to 'warm'or 'cool'feedback. I means waiting and watching for reactions, comments and putting it all together to decide on the apt treatment for the individual child.

    By Blogger Raji Nair, at 6:46 PM  

  • Gosh! These discussions are bringing back such memories - mostly of the unpleasant instances when I was "punished" - they are rare, few and far between. I remember few things from when I was 8 in 3rd grade and remember practically nothing from that year in school except for the one time when I was slapped across the cheek by Mrs. Massey for making a mistake in my cross-stitch needle work!!!

    I love cross-stitch, though :) - have done some very intricate patterns over the years, and even today, I'll grab any opportunity to start a project!!! Go figure :)

    (It may of course have to do with the fact that my mother is great at all kinds of needle work and she and I have shared this love for it over the years...guess Mrs. Massey's slap stood no chance in the face of such love!)

    By Blogger Shuchi Grover, at 9:27 PM  

  • Of course there is, Christina - except that this carrot is of the "intrinsic" variety :-)

    By Blogger Shuchi Grover, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home