Sharing & Learning Together

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tell me if this is a wacky lesson

Introduction
Grade:9-cst
Number of Students:7
Time:90 minutes
Topic: Algorithm
Algorithm is an English description of a program. It is necessary that the algorithm should be very specific and detailed.

Instruction
I said students to think of one thing that they knew to cook and quickly write the recipe for it. Next they had to write the algorithm for preparing that food in their own kitchen. Algorithm should also include the position of the utensils and ingredients.

Execution
After they completed writing the algorithm I asked one of the students to come in front of the class to role play the algorithm as I kept reading the another student's algorithm. Some algorithms were very clear with specific details about where the utensils were and how to turn on the gas but some algorithms did not have them. Student audience made a tally of errors that the algorithm consisted of.
Students had real fun in enacting it and preparing a recipe that was designed by the other person.

Conclusion
My main objective of understanding the importance of detailed algorithm was achieved through this activity.
Simultaneously I could see fun in the class.
Students remember about this lesson and concept is now registered in their minds

1 Comments:

  • Anitha - that was a lovely lesson and yes, I would say, quite whacky! Way to go! I am sure you and the students had a ball.

    By Blogger Tara Kini, at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home